Friday, April 1, 2016

The Way of the Earth (RPG)

The Way of the Earth (TWE) is a pen and paper role playing game that I started working on at the beginning of 2016. I had dabbled in writing before, and had played many role playing games in middle and high school, but it was only recently that I discovered that there are not that many role playing games with settings inspired by biblical narratives or by ancient near eastern history and mythology more generally. I figured that combining my love of writing and role playing games, along with my studies of the Hebrew Bible, could be a fun and fruitful way to relax and burn up some creative energy.

TWE is a work in progress. Like a lot of amateur creative projects, once I started serious work on TWE, it seemed like the work could go on forever. I created this blog as a kind of virtual accountability partner for my progress, and as a way to easily share the game and its development. Someday long down the road I might look into commissioning art and trying to publish the game, but for the mean time and since this is almost entirely for my own personal enjoyment, I think posting the game to this blog will do. I intend to create pages for the game's mechanics and fiction, while periodically posting about my thoughts on role playing design and progress updates on the game.

Anyone who happens across this blog is more than welcome to read, though not steal ;), and share any feedback they have. I might eventually post results from play-testing sessions, or find ways to invite other people to try out aspects of the game. If it comes to it, this blog can serve as a way to communicate with people interested in the game and write about implementing people's feedback.

- ABH

No comments:

Post a Comment